Monday, May 10, 2010

Down and Out... and soon to be blogging again... In Paris

This blog has suffered from severe neglect of late but perhaps no more. The French Domestic season is all but over but the international season for picks up again next weekend in Varsovie (Warsaw). I should hopefully have plenty to write about and in the mean time, I can complain about French banks...

...

Goddammit HSBC! Every time I try to leave they pull me back in. After having enough of their policy of arbitrarily dipping into my current account whenever they felt like it to take 'convention d'avenir' that I never signed up for, or "FRAIS TENUE DE COMPTE" , I went an opened an account with an online bank and basically stopped using the account except to make deposits and then immediately transfer them to the online account.

I cancelled my credit card with them, I cancelled my any direct debits I had with them, I carry out no actions in their branches and I thought I'd removed any opportunity for them to charge me anything... But no! Now they want to charge €2.00 a month for a security service to send a code to my mobile in order to access my account online. Looks like a just can't escape them trying to rip me off!

...

I imagine a time where the internet will be full of blogs written by fencers expressing how poor they are (ála Tim Morehouse's - Flat Broke and a US Olympian, but Worth It or my own various rants against french institutions stealing my money). I'm thinking of writing my own "Trying to live, work and train in Paris on €5 a week" but I'm afraid the post would involve to much boredom and swearing as I got ever more hungry as the week went on.

...

Oh and by the by, if you happen to read this and enjoy occasional rants about fencing, sport, politics, France, food or whatever I feel like writing about why not click the little button that says follow up the top-right.

2 comments:

PaulK said...

Hey Owen

Just tried to post a comment but it got spat back at me so apologies if you get this twice. Was wishing you the best with your training - don't let the French bank bastards get you down - they may be bad but at least they are not a bad as Irish bank bastards! Am envious that you took the time to train, I used to fence at college too but too a 20 year sabbatical and am only getting back into it now. I like reading Tim Morehouse's blog but good to see a European perspective too and especially an Irish one.

Take it easy

Paul Keogan

Owen McN said...

Thanks for your kind words. Going to try and post more often again over the next while. Can't promise I'll be posting as much as Tim though.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name