Monday, January 29, 2007

Turkish Delight: Part 4 - The Poule

In my poule of six I had drawn, Stehr (GER), Krul (USA), Two Georgians and Two Turks.

In my first match I faced the younger of the two Turks. After a disasterous first match from which I hadn't recovered the weekend before I really wanted to start strong. This unfortunately translated itself into me rushing my attacks against this slightly awkard but nothing special left-hander. I became more agitated as the match progressed and attacked to the line which was obviously his best parry consistantly. I lost the match 5 - 1 and knew I needed to get my head in check before the next match.

My next match was against Alex Krul a much better fencer all together. I checked my breathing before the match remembered the things I had been concentrating on during the week and suddenly everything clicked for me. My attacks were relaxed but fast when they needed to be and in defence I was seeing my opponents rythmn and not rushing into the counter-attack but picking my moment. I won the bout comfortably enough, 5 - 2 or 3, I think.

Pleased with myself I was determined to keep on a roll. I beat the younger Georgian well and had my two victories that would see me through to the next day. The older Georgian was still beatable but the score went to 4-all and he snook the last point.

Stehr was a former German team member and an excellent fencer. Going into the match I was very relaxed but excited and looking forward to fencing. Everything worked perfectly during the match. My attacks were some of the best I've ever made - really patient and relaxed and when I wanted to hit him, I decided when and did. The match finished 5-3 and I was absolutely delighted. Three wins under my belt guaranteed me a decent seeding.

My final match was against a cocky little Turk. His over dramatic appeals on every point and generally attitude on the piste got to me a bit and I got sucked into it - I really wanted to beat this little shit which was not the way to approach it at all. I became to conerned with the result. The score came to 4-4 and I rushed my final attack and he got me. I told him what I though of him as a tapped him on his back rather than shaking his hand - I really shouldn't have got involved in that level of rubbish.

Either which way, I was delighted with my performance in the poule. After last year when I barely snook through with one win in my poule. I was actually performing well at this level and comfortable on the piste.

Trev had come to watch the poule matches and we headed out afterwards for a bite to eat, some discussion of the state of the world and a drink after a long day (well me watching him drink as I was still in this competition). Through the glories of globalisation we went to Wagamama's (A japanes food chain startd in London) in a Western Supermall on the European side, followed by a quiet bar in Tacsim.

I headed back for a early night once again and an important match tomorrow.

0 comments:

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name